We have found that the major email providers GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, etc... do not work with the MT4 platform. Many others have suggested using the free GMX service and we have found that this works well in MT4 and MT5. These instructions will help you get set up with GMX and add it to the MT4 platform.
Step 1 - Set up a GMX email account.
- Go to https://www.gmx.com/
- Click the Sign Up button.
- Fill in the information and create your GMX account.
- Click the "Email Settings" link on the left.
- Select "POP3 & IMAP" from the settings menu.
- Check the box labeled "Enable access to this account via POP3 and IMAP".
- Click the Save button.
- You may be prompted to enter a security code on the screen. Enter the code and click the continue button.
- When you successfully enter the code you will receive a message that the settings have been saved.
Step 2 - Configure email in MT4
- Open your MT4 software.
- Click Tools on the menu.
- Choose Options.
- Select the Email tab.
- Check the "Enable" box.
- In the "SMTP server:" field enter mail.gmx.com:587
- In the "SMTP login:" field enter your GMX email address.
- In the "SMTP password:" field enter your GMX email password.
- In the "From:" field enter your GMX email address.
- In the "To:" field enter the email address you would like to send the alert emails to.
- Click the "Test" button.
- A window will pop up notifying you to check the Journal, click OK to close this window.
- Click OK.
- Go into the Terminal window in MT4. If the terminal is not open, press the Ctrl + T keys or click View on the menu and choose Terminal.
- Choose the Journal tab and read the message to see if the email was sent. If you receive an error about the email in the journal, please go back into the email settings and review the information that you have entered. Also check your GMX account from step 1 to make sure that the POP3 is enabled.
Step 3 - Enable email sending in the TG_VSAScanner
- Right-click on a chart.
- Choose Indicators List.
- Select the TG_VSAScanner.
- Click the Edit button.
- Find Send e-mail alert and double-click.
- Change to True.
- Click the OK button.
- Close the Indicators List window.