NT8 will support many email services such as GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. Most of these email providers offer 2 step verification for enhanced security. If you are using the 2 step verification, then the email sending in NT8 will likely not work. If you do not wish to disable your two step authentication, you may set up a GMX email account. We have provided instructions below on how to do this.
With GMail and Yahoo you will have to enable external POP3/IMAP settings. This link from NinjaTrader Support will explain how: https://ninjatrader.com/support/forum/showthread.php?t=45339 You may have to enable POP3/IMAP with other email providers as well. Check with your email provider to see if they require external POP3/IMAP settings to be enabled.
Here is an article from NinjaTrader Support providing the SMTP settings for some of the popular email providers: https://ninjatrader.com/support/forum/showthread.php?t=45339
Enable the email in NinjaTrader 8
- Open the Control Center
- Click Tools on the menu
- Choose Options
- Choose General
- Click on Share Services. Here is the relevant NinjaTrader Support Help Guide page: https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/index.html?general_section.htm#ManagingShareServices
- Fill in the information for your email provider. Popular email setups are covered in this forum post:
https://ninjatrader.com/support/forum/showthread.php?t=45339. If you do not find your email in this list, contact your email provider for the required settings.
Make sure that the "Default" option box is checked.
Click OK again.
Once you have the email configured, you will need to configure the VSA Scanner.
- Right click on a chart with the scanner
- Choose Indicators
- Select the TG_VSAScanner_4_5
- On the right side find the "Send e-mail alert" and check the box
- Below that, fill out the "Send Alert Mail To address" with the email address you want the alert to go to.
- Click OK after you have made these changes.
- Change your other charts by following these same steps or, save this as one of your templates and apply this to your other charts that use the scanner.
If you do not want to disable two-step verification or enable external POP3/IMAP, then we suggest signing up for a free account with GMX.
Step 1 - Set up a GMX email account.
- Go to https://www.gmx.com/
- Click the Sign Up button.
- Fill in the information and create your GMX account.
- Click the "Email Settings" link on the left.
- Select "POP3 & IMAP" from the settings menu.
- Check the box labeled "Enable access to this account via POP3 and IMAP".
- Click the Save button.
- You may be prompted to enter a security code on the screen. Enter the code and click the continue button.
- When you successfully enter the code you will receive a message that the settings have been saved.
Step 2 - Configure the email settings in NT7
- Click Tools on the menu.
- Choose Options.
- Select the Misc tab.
- In the "Server:" field enter mail.gmx.com
- In the "Port" field enter 587
- In the "User:" field enter your GMX email address.
- In the "Password:" field enter your GMX email password.
- In the "Mail alert messages to:" field enter the email address you would like to send the alert emails to.
- Click the Test button.
- Enter the email address where you would like the test message sent to and click OK.
- Wait for the message, then click OK.
If the test mail fails to send, first check all of the fields for errors in spelling and that you are using the correct password. If that still does not work, contact NinjaTrader technical support.